The St Peter’s Open 2023 is a group exhibition between Monday 23rd October and Friday 27th October 2023 hosted in St Peter’s Church De Beauvoir.
Working with talented local artist Kadir Karababa, the St Peter’s Open aims to provide an opportunity for early career artists* in Hackney, especially those who confront social, cultural, or economic obstacles hindering their artistic journey. Together, we aim to break down barriers and empower these artists to participate, thrive, and leave their mark on the artistic landscape of our local community.
To be eligible to apply for this opportunity applicants must:
- be a Hackney-based visual artist
- be an early-career artist* (not had a solo exhibition of works and/or within the first 5 years of artist practice).
- not currently represented by a gallery.
- have not shown in a group show within the last 6 months.
We particularly welcome applications from artists who experience social, cultural, or economic barriers to participation. Artworks in any medium can be submitted although the panel will make an overall decision based on the curation and space available.
Selected artists will be provided with:
- An exhibition space in the heart of Hackney to showcase and sell their work.
- An opportunity to sell work and keep 100% of the sale price.
- A chance to network with other local artists and meet potential buyers/collectors at the opening event.
In return the selected artist is expected to:
- Help to invigilate the exhibition space on a weekday rota shift system shared with the other exhibiting artists.
- Be available on 22nd and 27th October to help install and uninstall their work and on 23rd and 26th October to attend an evening opening event.
- Share information about the St Peter’s Open via their social media channels/website.
The application and selection process
Applications will be made by submitting a short application form or video with required images by email.
Alternative arrangements and additional support will be provided to artists who need to access the application process in different ways, please get in touch if you need some additional support.
The selection panel will consist of local artists and creative industry professionals. The panel will be involved in shortlisting and selecting the artwork to showcase. As part of our commitment to making the application process as accessible as possible, and to reduce the workload of applicants and the panel we have asked for as little information from applicants as possible.
Key application questions
- Name / Contact details / Website / Social media handles (These details are removed from applications before they are shared with the selection panel).
- Eligibility criteria confirmation.
- Tell us about your practice (300 words)
- Details of up to three artworks with images and information (medium, size, price)
Works in any medium will be accepted, including (but not limited to) painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, mixed media, photography and film.
Artists may submit up to 3 works.
Entry Deadline and Exhibition Timeline
- Call for Entries from Tuesday 1st August 2023
- Call for Entries closes 5pm Monday 11th September 2023
- Successful entrants notified 25th September 2023
- Deadline for delivery of work Friday 20th October
- Launch on Monday 23rd October 2023 5:308pm
For any inquiries or additional information, please contact us at email@example.com
Download the St Peter’s Open Application form.docx which includes an optional equal opportunities form.
Complete the online form which includes an optional equal opportunities form.
Let’s celebrate art together at the St Peter’s Open 2023!